Bremo Slave Chapel / Grace Episcopal Church
- State Route 657
- Bremo Bluff, VA 23022
- Phone: (434) 842-3131
- Website: Click to Visit Bremo Slave Chapel / Grace Episcopal Church
The simple Gothic Revival structure now serving as the parish hall of Grace Episcopal Church in Bremo Bluff was constructed in 1835 as a slave chapel for Bremo, the adjacent plantation of John Hartwell Cocke. As a devoted Christian, Cocke decided that his slaves should be taught to read and also that they should be given religious instruction and their own church. The structure was built on what came to be known as Chapel Field. The Bremo Slave Chapel is the state's only known slave chapel. The Chapel fell into disuse after the Civil War, and ca. 1883 it was moved from the original site of Lower Bremo to the village of Bremo Bluff to serve the local Episcopal parish. Consecrated in 1884, it was used as a house of worship until 1924, when the present church was built. It is currently used as an activity center for Grace Episcopal Church.