- 434 Lannigan Lane
- Charlottesville, VA 22904
- Phone: (434) 982-5100
- Fax: (434) 982-5012
- Website: Click to Visit Davenport Field
On February 16, 2002 the University of Virginia baseball program defeated Bucknell by the score of 10-3 in the first contest played at the brand new UVa Baseball Stadium. Virginia opened the door on its sparkling new multi-million dollar facility for the 2002 season. With a new seating capacity of 4,801 and field dimensions of 335-377-408-377-352 (left-right), Davenport showcases as one of the finest collegiate baseball facilities in the nation. In 2010, Virginia played host to a NCAA Regional for a fourth time (2004, 2006, 2007, 2010) and hosted its first Super Regional at Davenport Field. Prior to postseason play, 979 general admission bleacher seats were added down the right field line and an additional 600 seats were added in right field to expand the seating capacity to 4,801.
The UVa Baseball Stadium has been through a series of improvements over its tenure as the home to the Virginia Cavaliers, but none like the recent upgrades and renovations. Improvements to the stadium include: a canopied grandstand with 1,500 seats; an additional 500 seats and a grass hillside to provide more seating; six sky boxes for lease by fans and corporate sponsors; stadium lights; new dugouts for the home and visiting teams; an on-site locker room and club house; a new press box, and a new concession area. Representing a major athletic facility improvement, the University of Virginia installed a new grass playing surface at the then UVa Baseball Field in 1998. The Bermuda grass playing surface - known as Davenport Field - was dedicated on Saturday, April 13th, 2002 during Virginia's second contest of a three-game series against Wake Forest.
The field was named in honor of Thomas "Ted" Edward Davenport who served the University of Virginia as Executive Director and Secretary/Treasurer of the Virginia Student Aid Foundation (VSAF) from 1958 until 1988. He was a dear friend and avid fan of the University until his death in 2001. A 1953 graduate of the Curry School of Education, Davenport was instrumental in increasing the donations and donors to the annual fund and leading capital funding efforts for the athletics program during his tenure. He served the University in several capacities including head baseball coach and head golf coach.