Fluvanna County Courthouse Historic District
132 Main Street, Palmyra, VA 22963
Maggie's House, the new headquarters of the Fluvanna County Historical Society on Main Street, Palmyra, is open every Tues-Thurs from 1:00-4:00pm for research and for information on the Holland Page Place, the Old Stone Jail Museum and other heritage attractions in the county. The phone number at Maggie's House is 434-589-7910. Maggie's House is an historic home in the center of the historic district. The Old Stone Jail Museum is open May 28-end of October on Wed, Sat and Sunday from 1:00-4:00pm. Tours begin at Maggie's House. <p> Located in the small town of Palmyra, the Fluvanna Courthouse Historic District includes a cluster of buildings called, “the Acropolis of Palmyra,” by architectural historian Talbot Hamlin. The village of Palmyra is dominated by the once-active courthouse, with a temple-form Greek Doric exterior, completed in 1831. The Courthouse is one of the few antebellum courthouses in Virginia to remain without additions and retain its original interior arrangement and many original fittings. Inscribed on the stone lintel above the entrance is, “THE MAXIM HELD SACRED BY EVERY FREE PEOPLE/OBEY THE LAWS.” No longer in use as the courthouse, the building is now used for meeting space by county residents, and the interior can be viewed only by appointment with the historical society. Parking is available at the new courthouse, located at 132 Main Street, next door to the old Courthouse. <p> Adjacent to the courthouse is the Old Stone Jail Museum, now run by the Fluvanna County Historical Society as a museum featuring fascinating local artifacts and historical documents. Predating the Courthouse by two years, this distinctive building, made of brick and stone, is a perfect setting for one of the best small museums in rural Virginia.<p> Walker Timberlake, founder of the town of Palmyra, oversaw the construction of the courthouse. Timberlake was a Methodist preacher, contractor and mill owner, whose five-story mill was the first business in Palmyra. Burned by Union troops, the mill was torn down in the 1940’s so that the steel beams could be used for the World War II effort. The remains of a thriving lock system built in the mid-1800’s to allow boats to navigate around the dam built for the mill on the Rivanna River can still be seen along the banks of the river.
- Child Friendly:
- Handicapped Accessible: