Hebron Lutheran Church
P. O. Box 100, Madison, VA 22727
Built in 1740 by German settlers and the oldest Lutheran Church in continuous use in the United States. The church was founded by German immigrants who were indentured to Governor Alexander Spotswood to work in his iron mines at Germanna (Orange County). Hebron is one of four wooden churches surviving from Virginia's Colonial times. It is architecturally notable for its hewn shipwright's roof truss system, 1802 Tannenberg organ and frescoed ceiling from the Victorian era. The first public school site in the State of Virginia was started in this building c. 1896.