Jackson P. Burley School
901 Rose Hill Drive, Charlottesville, VA 22903
In 1949, the Charlottesville School Board combined Jefferson High School, Esmont High School, and Albemarle Training School, black high schools in Charlottesville and Albemarle County, into a single high school for all the black students in this area. The city purchased land from Jackson P. Burley, a teacher, church worker, and leader within the Charlottesville community and constructed the new school on a seventeen-acre tract of land located on Rose Hill Drive. Construction began on the site in 1950, and in 1951 Burley High School opened for classes with a total of 542 students enrolled in grades 8-12.