Jail #5 was the fifth jail built in Albemarle County, the other earlier jails no longer stand. The stone jail house was built in 1876 out of the stones from a previous jail that once stood on court house square. A brick section was added later sometime after 1896 in order to provide room for more prisoners. The jail housed inmates until the 1970s. After years of neglect, Jail #5 was listed as one of Preservation Virginia’s Most Endangered Sites in 2010. Today we hope to restore this powerful site of Charlottesville history into a museum space.