Lee Park contains all of the land bounded by Jefferson Street, First Street N.E., Market Street and Second Street N.E. In 1917 Paul Goodloe McIntire donated the land to the City to be used as a public park in memory of his parents and “to erect thereon a statue of General Robert E. Lee…”.
Dominating the park at its highest point stands an imposing equestrian monument to Robert E. Lee. This monument was commissioned in 1917. The statue was conceived by Henry M. Shrady, completed by Leo Lentelli, and presented by Mr. McIntire to the City in 1924 during a Confederate reunion held at the park. More information is available from the Albemarle County Historical Society (434) 296-1492.
The 1.04 acres of raised land provides a pleasant lunchtime oasis in the downtown area, with many benches, a number of checker/chess tables, and colorful flowers and shrubbery.
Lee Park, as well as Jackson Park, is part of the Virginia Civil War Trails. Both parks also host the annual Governor Jefferson's Thanksgiving Festival with Revolutionary era re-enactments and displays.
- Child Friendly:
- Handicapped Accessible: