Louisa County Historical Society Museum
100 West Main Street, Louisa, VA 23093
The Museum, located in the old jail building beside the Louisa County Courthouse, is open on Saturday and Sunday, from 2-4 PM, May through September. The Museum is also open by appointment to view exhibits. For visitors interested in historical or family genealogical research, the Louisa County library is the best place to begin searching for information.<p> The building now used as the museum of the Louisa County Historical Society was the jail for Louisa County until 1967. At that time the Department of Welfare and Institutions of Virginia considered the jail one of the four worst jails in Virginia. The Jail/Museum was built in 1868 using bricks and iron from a prior jail built in 1808 and located across Main Street. The interior of the present building was destroyed in 1881 when an escaping prisoner set it on fire. Repair work was done that same year. The iron and gratings were purchased from Tredegar Iron works in Richmond, Virginia. In 1937, all the woodwork was removed and the cement floors and ceiling were installed under the WPA program. Wrought iron was imbedded in the upstairs walls and steel partitions created four cells out of two.
- Child Friendly: