Orange, Town of

The county seat of Orange County was formed in 1752 when the Courthouse was erected on a site adjacent to the present one. Although a tragic fire leveled much of the town in 1908, many historic buildings and homes still stand withing the town limits: the Court House c. 1858; St. Thomas Episcopal Church c. 1834; "Peliso" c. 1819; "Spring Garden" c. 1820; Rebel Hall" c. 1849--a gathering place for Confederate Officers; "Taliaferro House" c. 1850; "Chestnut Hill" c. 1860; "Sparks" Building c. 1830.