Proffit Historic District
Proffit Road, Charlottesville, VA 22911
In the early 1870s, formerly enslaved John Coles and Benjamin Brown purchased land from former slaveholder W.G. Carr in exchange for labor, beginning settlement of the district that would come to be called Proffit. The Proffit district is one of the few surviving African-American communities established in Albemarle County after the Civil War. The congregation of the Evergreen Baptist Church is still active in the community. Organized in 1888 with eleven members, the Church building was erected several years later in 1891 by the Reverend D.L. Gofney, the Church's first pastor. Until recently, the Church held regular worship services and Sunday school and was involved in various area activities. On June 24, 2000, Proffit residents gathered at Evergreen Baptist Church for the unveiling of a Proffit Historic District highway marker.