NOMINATIONS NOW BEING ACCEPTED FOR THE
charlottesville & ALBEMARLE COUNTY
TOURISM RECOGNITION AWARDS
Winners will be celebrated at the 2018 CACVB Tourism Awards event
taking place in conjunction with National Tourism Week in May
Charlottesville, VA (March 13, 2018) – The Charlottesville Albemarle Convention & Visitors Bureau (CACVB) is inviting visitors and locals to nominate individuals working in the local tourism industry, for their demonstrated commitment and excellence serving the public. For the eighth consecutive year, the Charlottesville & Albemarle County Tourism Recognition Awards will be presented in conjunction with National Tourism Week in May, to recognize outstanding performance and achievements in the hospitality and tourism industry. The Charlottesville Albemarle Convention and Visitors Bureau is proud to be sponsoring the event again this year.
Nominations can be submitted in the following categories:
- Best Server: Restaurant, Bistro, Café, Lounge or Pub - All server staff including hosts/hostesses, waiters/waitresses and bartenders.
- Best Chef - All chefs from any dining establishment, regardless of size, are eligible.
- Best Customer Service: Lodging - Anyone who works the front-line and engages visitors at a resort, hotel, motel, small inn, or B&B.
- Best Customer Service: Attractions - Anyone who works the front-line and engages with the public at a local attraction, entertainment or outdoor recreational venue.
- Best Customer Service: Transportation Services - Anyone who engages the public as a front-line person involved in rail transportation, taxis & limos, car rental agencies, corporate or commercial air carriers.
Voting can be done online at www.visitcharlottesville.org/tourismawards or by picking up a nomination application at the visitor information center located on the historic Downtown Mall, or at the Albemarle Tourism & Adventure Center, located in the historic train depot in Crozet. The deadline for receiving nominations is April 11, 2018.
“This is a great time of year when the travel and tourism industry nationwide takes the time to annually recognize those who have made meaningful contributions to the tourism marketplace, and in Charlottesville & Albemarle County, we have many who have gone above-and-beyond in their service to others,” said Kurt Burkhart, Executive Director of the Charlottesville Albemarle Convention & Visitors Bureau. “National Tourism Week gives us that chance to say thanks and job well done to everyone!”
The 2017 recipients included:
- Best Server: Restaurant, Bistro, Café, Lounge or Pub – Rachel Gendreau, Bizou
- Best Chef – Walter Slawski, The Shebeen Pub & Braai
- Best Customer Service: Attractions – Nate Johnson, RMC Events
- Best Customer Service: Transportation Services – Roger Jackman, Wish Wish Wine Tours
- Best Customer Service: Lodging – Kayla Musselman, Hilton Garden Inn
Also being presented at this event will be the Annual Tourism Achievement Award, which began in 1995, with the first award presented to Dan Jordan. Since that time, recipients of this prestigious award have included: The Virginia Film Festival, former First Lady of Virginia Susan Allen, Monticello, Gregory MacDonald, Artisans Center of Virginia, Lynn Easton, and Chris Eure. In 2017, Paul Beyer of the Tom Tom Founders Festival received the Award, for his outstanding work and contributions made to the community through one of the area’s fastest-growing and multi-faceted festivals, which celebrates innovation, technology, art, and entrepreneurship.
About the Charlottesville Albemarle Convention & Visitors Bureau (CACVB):
In addition to serving as the global resource for marketing the tourism assets of Charlottesville and Albemarle County, Virginia, through www.visitcharlottesville.org, the CACVB assists tour operators, meeting planners, reunions and other groups in planning visits to the destination. CACVB’s mission is “to enhance the economic prosperity of City and County by promoting, selling and marketing the City of Charlottesville and County of Albemarle, as a destination, in pursuit of the meetings and tourism markets.” CACVB operates the Downtown Visitor Center (610 E Main St) which is open daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., and a second visitor center, the Albemarle Tourism and Adventure Center in downtown Crozet (5791 Three Notch’d Rd) at the historic train depot; it is open Wednesday - Saturday 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. and Sunday Noon - 5:00 p.m. The CACVB also provides a touch-screen kiosk at Monticello’s Thomas Jefferson Visitor Center. The official website of the CACVB is www.visitcharlottesville.org. In addition, the organization manages powerful social media channels; ExperienceCharlottesville on Facebook, @VisitCVille on Twitter, CVilleVA on Pinterest, and @CharlottesvilleVA on Instagram and Vimeo.