Fork Union Military Academy
Located in the small town of Fork Union, the Academy was founded in 1898 by a prominent and inspirational Baptist minister, Dr. William E. Hatcher. Classes were held in the home of Susan Payne Cooper beginning in October of that year for nineteen young students.<p> Dr. Hatcher gathered a small group of concerned and dedicated citizens who shared his desire to provide a college preparatory education for the area's young people. With the financial support of this small group of citizens, the coeducational Fork Union Academy prospered. Military instruction began in 1902, and in 1913 the school's name was changed to Fork Union Military Academy. In 1913 the Academy also began receiving support from the Baptist General Association of Virginia, an affiliation that continues today.<p> Through the support of many generous individuals and the Virginia Baptists, the fully accredited Academy has expanded its programs and facilities for over one hundred years to become one of the largest and most successful schools of its kind in the nation. The Fork Union Military Academy seeks to provide young men with a college preparatory education in a residential, Christian environment. The Academy strives to teach its cadets responsibility, leadership, discipline and pride. Cadets and instructors enrich the surrounding community with volunteer work and community service.