Municipal Arts Center
1119 5th Street Southwest, Charlottesville, VA 22902
In 1994 the Charlottesville Municipal Band launched a capital campaign to raise the funds to build a Municipal Arts Center (MAC) on land already owned by the Band. Official ground breaking for the MAC occurred on Saturday October 17, 1998. The design for the multi-use facility was realized by the architectural firm of Laramore and Associates, AIA, under the guidance of principal architect and Municipal Band member Joseph C. Laramore, Jr. Construction of the building was accomplished by Goldsmith Construction, Inc., under the overall supervision of Municipal Band member Joseph M. Goldsmith. Construction of the building took about a year and a half. Formal dedication of the building occurred in September 2000. The building was designed to provide both a permanent home for the Municipal Band and its music library and equipment and to offer meeting and rehearsal space to other community arts organizations. To that end the building features office space for the Band, a large rehearsal hall suitable acoustically for both instrumental and vocal ensembles, as well as with a floor that accommodates dance groups of all types. This space is also suitable for recitals, lectures, receptions and chamber concerts. The building also has a multi-purpose meeting room downstairs that can accommodate many types of meetings and events and provides limited space for food preparation. The three main floors of the building are handicapped accessible via elevator, and there is an enclosed loading dock area for deliveries and equipment transfer. A conference and Board room provides comfortable meeting and planning space. The building also offers a limited amount of storage and rental office space to non-Band groups.
- Child Friendly: