Old Cabell Hall
112 Old Cabell Hall, Charlottesville, VA 22904
Originally known as the Academical Building, Cabell Hall is one of three buildings designed for the south end of the Lawn in 1898 by Stanford White. The Academical Building was renamed for Joseph C. Cabell, a member of the Board of Visitors, and houses the University's Department of Music and the Music Library. Cabell Hall directly faces the Rotunda and it connected with Rouss and Cocke Hall on either side by means of a pergola. This three-building grouping formed an extension of the line of pavilions and rooms on the East and West Lawn. Old Cabell Hall had upper and lower level lecture rooms at either end of the building with a large auditorium in between. The Auditorium had 1,500 seats of molded plywood, divided into 600 seats below the pillared railings, with additional seating in the gallery, and standing room behind the railing and next to the wall.