Elizabeth Trice Walton Park
This lovely small park is named for Elizabeth Trice Walton, a prominent and generous member of the Mineral community. Mrs. Walton was born about 1905, and was married to Senator Walton, a member of the Virginia General Assembly. She raised four children and though much of her early life was spent in Richmond, she developed a deep love and concern for Louisa County and the town of Mineral where she raised her family.<p> Mrs. Walton was instrumental in improving the civic life of the town of Mineral. She gave the land for the park that bears her name (approximately five acres) to the town in 1954, and the Mineral Bluegrass Festival is held here each July as a fundraiser for the fire department.<p> Mrs. Walton is remembered for her intelligence, sense of humor, wicked bridge game and enjoyment of life. As the wife of a State Senator, Mrs. Walton was kept busy in civic affairs; she was appointed by the Governor to the Board of Visitors of VPI (Virginia Tech) from 1944 to 1955, and served on the town council of Mineral for almost 20 years during the 1960’s and 1970’s. She was particularly supportive of Scouting, the Fire Department and the Rescue Squad.<p> Among many other interesting experiences, Mrs. Walton traveled to England in 1939 with a group called the Country Women of the World. They sailed to England on the Queen Mary, and in England the group were the guests of Lady Astor on several occasions.<p> Though she traveled independently, this pillar of the Mineral community enjoyed the small-town atmosphere and family life in Mineral. Her final years were spent in her adopted hometown where she could be close to family and friends.